Boeing has increased renewable-energy use in its factories, purchased more sustainable aviation fuel for commercial operations and continues significant investments in aerospace technologies to reduce fuel use, emissions and noise.
Titled “Sustainable Aerospace Together,” this report provides an annual update on company efforts to advance environmental stewardship, human development and inclusion. This includes addressing the company’s sustainability goals on employee safety and well-being; global aerospace safety; community engagement; and equity, diversity and inclusion, in addition to sustainable operations and clean technology innovation.
“Boeing continues to invest and make progress on our journey to achieve a more sustainable aerospace future,” said Chris Raymond, Boeing Chief Sustainability Officer. “As we enter a new era of sustainable aerospace, we are committed to documenting our progress and outlining our path forward with transparency so our industry can progress, together.”
Boeing’s sustainability accomplishments in this year’s report include:
• Introducing and publicly launching the Boeing Cascade Climate Impact Model, a data-modeling tool that quantifies strategies to reduce aviation emissions
• Selection by NASA to develop and flight test a full-scale Transonic Truss-Braced Wing Sustainable Flight Demonstrator airplane
• Celebrating the 10th anniversary of the Boeing ecoDemonstrator program, which has evaluated about 230 technologies to reduce fuel use, emissions and noise. The 2022 program tested 30 new technologies to help decarbonize aviation on Boeing’s 777-200 test bed.
• Purchasing 2 million gallons (7.6 million liters) of SAF for Boeing’s commercial airplane operations
• Achieving 35% renewable electricity use across the company in 2022 by purchasing renewable electricity and renewable energy credits. This is up from 21% in 2021.
• Deploying a voluntary industry approach to supplier sustainability assessments established by the IAEG and implemented by EcoVadis
Additional accomplishments on safety, diversity, equity and inclusion and Boeing’s community efforts can be found in the 2023 Chief Aerospace Safety Officer Report, 2023 Global Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Report and the Boeing 2023 Community Impact Portfolio.
Find the full report here: www.boeing.com/principles/sustainability
Stay up to date
Subscribe to the free Times Aerospace newsletter and receive the latest content every week. We'll never share your email address.